An Innovative Solution for Optimal Care and Convenience
- Wirelessly reads data from your device in the comfort of your home.
- Sends data to a secure website that only your medical team can access.
The Merlin.net™ Patient Care Network and Merlin@home™ transmitter work together to make up a communication system that offers increased safety in living with your pacemaker or implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD). If your medical team recommends remote monitoring for you and your device, you can perform follow-ups at home or even while travelling with the Merlin@home™ transmitter.
- Transfers information to your doctor without an office visit
- Can reduce the number of office visits you need to make
- Can monitor your device daily between office visits
- Do not spill any liquid on the transmitter. If you spill any liquid, unplug the transmitter and wipe the liquid off right away. Do not plug the transmitter in until it is completely dry.
- The Merlin@home transmitter complies with the limits for medical devices contained in IEC/EN 60601-1-2:2001. However, the Merlin@home transmitter may cause radio interference or may disrupt the operation of nearby equipment. To help avoid this effect, you may need to reorient or relocate the receiving device or shielding the location.
See Important Safety Information.
If you have the Merlin@home™ Transmitter and require technical support, contact us:
- Outside of the United States: Contact your St. Jude Medical representative, call Remote Care Technical Support at +46 8 474 4756 or email us.
- Within the United States: Call Technical Support at +1-877-MY-MERLIN (+1-877-696-3754) or email us.
St. Jude Medical January 9, 2017 cybersecurity release update
As part of our commitment to continuous improvement, on January 9, 2017, St. Jude Medical announced that it is now deploying the latest release of cybersecurity updates for its Merlin remote monitoring system that is used with implantable pacemakers and defibrillator devices. We collaborated with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s ICS-CERT unit on these updates. The improvements include security updates that complement the company’s existing security measures and further reduce the extremely low cybersecurity risks.
About the Improvements
We released the latest software update to Merlin@home™ on January 9, 2017, and the updates will be implemented over the next couple of months. The update includes additional validation and verification between Merlin@home™ devices and Merlin.net.
What Patients Should Do
As is always recommended, patients should make sure that their Merlin@home™ unit is plugged in and connected via landline, cellular adapter, or Ethernet/Wi-Fi so they can receive these and any future security updates. Patients do not need to do anything else to enable their Merlin@home™ units to receive updates. They should continue with existing use of Merlin@home™ devices as instructed by their physicians. Patients with any questions should reach out to their physicians. They can also call the Merlin hotline at +1-877-MY-MERLIN (+1-877-696-3754).
Benefits of Remote Monitoring
Remote monitoring ensures important device information is available to healthcare providers quickly so physicians can consider adjustments to medications or recommend other clinical intervention. Multiple studies continue to prove the positive impact of remote monitoring. In fact, remote monitoring has become the recommended standard of care over the past decade.
At St. Jude Medical, the safety and security of patients is always our primary focus. St. Jude Medical has taken, and will continue to take, appropriate steps to ensure the continued safety, security and effectiveness of its devices. The company will continue to work with our Cyber Security Medical Advisory Board, FDA, DHS ICS-CERT, security researchers, physicians and others in the industry in a coordinated way to develop best practices and standards that further enhance the security of devices across the medical industry.
Learn more about our commitment to product and patient safety.
Merlin@home™ System Patient Fact Sheet - St. Jude Medical Cybersecurity Release Update (97kb)
Getting the Most Out of Remote Monitoring