The sinus node in your heart is regarded as its natural pacemaker. The sinus node produces the electrical signals that initiate every heartbeat. If the sinus node is not functioning properly, you may develop sick sinus syndrome (SSS), which, while not a disease, is a set of signs or symptoms.
If you have SSS, your heartbeat may be too slow or it may speed up and slow down intermittently. This can mean that your heart does not pump enough blood to meet your body’s needs.
Common SSS symptoms include:
- Rapid, fluttering, irregular heartbeats
- Fainting and near fainting
- Dizziness and light-headedness
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pains
- Confusion and memory issues
Causes of SSS symptoms include:
- Scar tissue from previous heart surgeries
- Medications for high blood pressure and heart disease
- Age-related wear and tear to the heart