Traveling With a Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) System
Generally, traveling with a DBS system is easy and safe. With a little planning and communication with your doctor, your loved ones and travel companions, you can enjoy a healthy, happy trip with confidence.
First, consult your doctor
It is important to notify your doctor about your plans. He or she can:
- Help you find a doctor to connect with at your destination, just in case you need care. This is especially important if you will be away for more than a month.
- Help you think through how to manage any possible issues
- Provide you with other information that might be relevant
What to bring with you
In addition to following recommendations from your doctor, make sure to bring:
- Your Patient Identification (ID) Card which you should carry wherever you go
- Phone numbers for your doctor and your St. Jude Medical representative, in case you have questions
If you will be traveling by plane, keep in mind that certain metal detectors and anti-theft devices may affect your device. When you go through security checkpoints at the airport, show your patient ID card to security personal and ask how best to proceed.